Sunday, January 10, 2010

MAN UP!!!!!!!!

I wrote this a few years back and i am reposting it again because it is still relevant today. Most of these N.B.A. players need to MAN UP.  I don't know when the NBA became so soft but it did happen. It has become commonplace for guys to miss games for broken fingernails. Okay maybe not fingernails but pretty close. I respect Kobe Bryant, Kevin Durant, LeBron James and a few other tough minded players. Unfortunately there are too many players that are not tough minded. Back in the good old days most of us rarely missed practice let alone games. Today i see guys missing game after game for minor issues. I know not everyone has the same pain threshold but it seems that most of these players don't know the difference between hurt and injured. I can still see Isaiah Thomas running up and down the court on one leg, John Stockton having his broken nose reset on the bench during a timeout and continuing to play or Michael Jordan playing with the flu. Personally, i have played with all sorts of injuries including breaking my hand on December 28, 1992 and being told it was the worst possible break to have since the bone had rotated and that i was done for the year. I had surgery the next day and returned to the lineup on January 25, 1993. I often wonder how long players today would sit out with the same injury. I was speaking with A.C. Green just yesterday and we both wondered sarcastically what a hamstring injury was. Who today can play through injuries and pain like A.C. Green night in and night out. The NBA and its teams have made it easier for players than back in the days with beautiful private planes, luxury hotels, shorter training camp schedule and less physicality yet the players are hurt more. Notice I did not write injured. They sit out now for every little thing. Its become more WNBA than NBA. I shouldn't disrespect the WNBA like that.  Hey guys just man up and play. We used to say if its not broken then you can play. I don't think that's the saying nowadays. The saying now is probably more like what the late Wayman Tisdale(RIP) used to say jokingly "if you feel a tingle, sit on the sideline and mingle".

No comments:

Post a Comment